Aug 18, 2020
This past summer has been quite unlike the many we have seen before. With the pandemic, changes to schooling, working, social isolation, and distancing it has been a learning experience for all of us in navigating this new normal. One of our favorite methods of relaxation (even more so than usual!) is to lose ourselves in a good book. The ability to journey within, learn new things, and to escape into another world has been extra incredible (and all from the safety of our homes!)
We would love to share with our community some of what we have really enjoyed over these past few months. There has been so many great reads—ones that keep you up all night desperately trying to figure out the twist to family stories that have you laughing (and crying) at the same time.
Have you read any of these? Is there anything that you have read that you would like to share? Please let us know!
#quarantine reads #fiction #non-fiction #hoopla #audiobooks #music #Hazeldean #Beaverbrook #we recommend #fall reading
- Poppy has her secrets (don't we all?!) and when her new handsome beau Drew (who also rescued her from a precarious situation) suggests only one rule for their rel'ship (don't talk about the past) she happily agrees. But what secrets is he hiding? A roller coaster of a story, that will have the reader guessing what secrets both Poppy and Drew are keeping from each other, and the costs of lying by omission.....
- When Sam hears about a shaman who can "fix everything wrong with you in three days" he is intrigued. Can all that ails him really be fixed in that time, and do what therapy couldn't? An authentic portrayal of addiction, and relationships, that is captivating, and will keep the reader engrossed to see if Sam gets his happy ending...or not.
- Claire has been planning to leave her husband for a while, but he has deep pockets, and reach, and she is terrified. When an opportunity arises an the airport to switch places with a mysterious stranger Eva, it is one she can't refuse. But when Eva's plane goes down, matters become more complicated... Just what secrets is Eva hiding? And can Claire stay hidden in Eva's life and keep up this charade? A fast paced thriller that will keep you reading all night..... and it is worth all the missed sleep!
- Small kids, small problems? A bully incident happened in a kindergarten orientation in a beautiful Australian coastal town, it unfolds a complex story of couple's relationship, parenting, domestic violence and female friendship, and I found it particular relevant in this pandemic time. A fun book to listen though, many quips on parenting and schooling, it took me a little while to figure out why the pleasantry among parents on new school start day is something like "how's your new year?". Great narrator, love her voicing the story! I highly recommended to watch its HBO series first, for a better chance to appreciate both the book and the show, not the opposite.
- John Grisham wrote this daunting story based on a story he heard long ago from his days as elected intuition official, in Deep South. It gives me a glimpse how White and Black got along merely 60 years ago. Great narrator, that smooth Southern accent!
- The Science of Making Positive Changes That StickBy Wood, Wendy(Downloadable Audiobook - 2019)Just like the author wished, I took away her tip for establishing a good habit: friction free, which means not to depend on your will power but to create an environment with less distraction to your goal, do it, repeat it until it becomes part of you.
- By Rovelli, Carlo(Downloadable Audiobook - 2016)A great introduction to various topics in physics without background in this field, the author explains scientific subjects in a passionate and poetic manner, sharing his insight on humanity, time and space
- I like reading her books, she is a good storyteller. She tells story of families, their connection to the society that they live in. In this one, she starts with a picture-perfect family; how one tragedy could shatter that picture, and how they can survive and move on as an individual. Also, not loose the feeling of family…you may not be together, but you could always love and respect each other.
Wild West Fall Picks Children's Edition: What We’re Reading, Listening to & Watchingby charmaine_library
#quarantine reads #fiction #non-fiction #hoopla #audiobooks #music #Hazeldean #Beaverbrook #we recommend #children's
- A story with beautiful illustrations about a lovable dog named Fred and his curious spirit! Complete with repeating verses for children to say along with you "I sit, I stay, I don't run away.." this is a engaging story for all family members to enjoy.
- Ryan tries really hard to see the best in people (even her brother) but sometimes she feels that her parents don't quite understand her but she always finds her way, with sunshine! This series has been compared to Ramona Quimby, featuring a black girl and her family.
- The first book in a series of children's books about a father and his two children who welcome Sarah into their lives. Through patience and tenderness, Sarah becomes an integral part of their lives. This book was made into a Hallmark movie.
- A Story About Showing You CareBy Smith, Bryan(Book - 2018)great book for children to teach about empathy and kindness with examples that they can relate to. The author writes a series of books about life skills such as self-acceptance and sportsmanship.
- Bernice Buttman is by no means a model citizen, but she tries. She ends up living with her aunt and several quirky nuns in an abbey. One of the characters speaks only in children's book quotes, which makes for a fun “what book was that?” activity.
Les selections d'automne du Wild West : Ce que nous avons lu, écoutons et regardonsby charmaine_library
#nous recommendons #les lectures #les documentaires #Hazeldean #Beaverbrook