Job Search Tips
- Ontario Government Jobs and Employment links A portal of information for job seekers that includes programs and resources to help you plan your career, get training, or find a job. Employers will find resources for how to hire workers.
- Ontario Work Info NET A network of work-related resources, on career planning, skills upgrading, organizations helping particular groups.
- Job Search Tips from the Pros, Global News What does work and what does not work, including videos.
- The Muse: Job Search Tips That Are So Basic People Forget Them
- Job-Hunt.org Award-winning resource edited by online job search expert Susan P. Joyce, this website of advice articles to guide job seekers to smarter job search techniques.
- Career, Learning, and Employment Information (ALIS) Created by Government of Alberta but relevant to all, this site contains downloadable books, with simple language, worksheets, and practical guides for first-time job seekers (young, newcomers to Canada) as well as older workers. Download and explore Work Search Basics, Easy Reading Find a Job, Advanced Techniques for Work Search.
- Quintessential Careers, by Live Career Career tools, job search tips, and advice, including guide to interviewing.
Resume and Cover Letter Help, Job Search Assistance
If you want in-person help, make an appointment with one of the Ottawa’s Employment Resource Centres.
Employment resource centres will help you develop your resume and cover letter, and meet with you for employment assistance. Some services address specific populations:
- Employment Ontario agencies serve Permanent Residents.
- Newcomers who are not Permanent Residents can use the services of a settlement agency for support in job searches.
Ottawa Public Library branches organize drop-ins provided by some of the Employment Ontario agencies, for job search help. Check the OPL Programs page under the Subject Jobs and Careers for program details.
Resume Writing Resources
- Ottawa Public Library’s list of books and websites to guide you in writing a resume.
- Grammarly Grammar and spell checker, with word choice suggestions, making sure what you type is mistake free.
Interviewing Skills and Preparation
Preparation and practice for an interview with the help of resources such as these will give you confidence and better chances of a successful interview.
Part of the job search can be preparing yourself with the skills required. These resources on the OPL website offer a chance to learn online. Log in to the OPL website with your Library card and PIN.
Learning Express Library allows you to improve writing, vocabulary, spelling, grammar, reading comprehension and math skills at the elementary (grade 4), secondary, college and university level. Practice and prepare for exams like the TOEFL, GED, SAT, LSAT, MCAT, GRE and GMAT. This resource also contains tools and resources for career development, including job search and networking, resume writing, cover letters and interview techniques and tips.
Business Writing helps learners develop and practice written business communication skills in the context of emails, SMS, letters and reports. Topics include the writing process, linking ideas and writing clearly.
Lynda.com is the place to go for learning technology, creative and business skills you can use today. Choose from over 4,000 in-depth video courses from top experts and learn online.