- Anyone who has a valid Ottawa Public Library card in good standing.
Who can use the Interlibrary Loan Service?
What can I request?
- Books that the Ottawa Public Library does not own.
- Archival microfilm (census, vital statistic records, church records etc.)
- Microfilm (books, newspapers, periodicals)
- Copies of articles from periodicals and newspapers.
Is there a cost?
- Postage and loan fee cost recovery is with permission only when you fill out the ILL form.
- $25.00 return postage fee for items borrowed from the United States.
- Loan and photocopy fees from some Canadian libraries. Range $10-$20+
- Loan and photocopy fees from American libraries. Range $10-$20+
- Return air mail postage for items borrowed from other countries than the United States.
- $1.00 charge for not picking up an ILL
- Cost recovery charge if the item is lost or damaged.
How many items can I request?
- Four (4) requests per month.
- There are no renewals on Interlibrary loan material.
- 3 reels per person at a time for archival microfilm.
- 3-12 reels per person for newspaper/periodical microfilm.
Are there any restrictions?
- Any item in the Ottawa Public Library catalogue including Reference.
- Books published in the last 12 months.
- CDs, MP3s.
- Rare books and materials over 100 years old unless they are available on microfilm.
- Some libraries may restrict the book to “In Library Use Only”. These items cannot be taken out of the branch.
- Microfilm and microfiche are always “In Library Use Only”.
How long will it take?
- Allow a minimum of 3 weeks for items available in Canada.
- Allow a minimum of 6 weeks for items borrowed from the United States.
- Allow a minimum of 8+ weeks for items borrowed from international libraries.
How will I know the result of my request?
- You can check your Library Dashboard. Click on Log In/My OPL. Under My Borrowing, click on My ILL requests.
- Any messages and cancellation notes will appear here. Please note that the Library may decide to purchase a title for its collection rather than fulfill an ILL request.
How will I know when my material arrives?
- You will be notified by the method you selected on your library card account for holds.
- The item will appear in your hold list on your library card account.
- Pick up interlibrary loan items quickly as loan periods are dictated by the loaning library.
- Do not remove the pink band on the cover.
- Interlibrary loan holds cannot be paused.
- If your ILL hold is not picked up you will be charged $1.
Why is there a pink band on my Interlibrary Loan book?
- The pink band on the cover identifies the book immediately as belonging to the Interlibrary Loans department. It is used as a tracking mechanism. It is imperative the pink band not be removed from the item to ensure the return to the ILL department to avoid potential lost book fees.
What if I want to cancel my request?
- You can contact InfoService to request cancellations: 613-580-2940 or InfoService@BiblioOttawaLibrary.ca.
- If the item has already been shipped by the lending library then you will be charged any applicable loan and return postage fees.
How do I submit a request?
- Please fill the Interlibrary Loan form with complete and accurate information for a successful search.
- Only one title per request form.
- Only one microfilm reel per form for archival microfilm.