Directories are a good tool for reaching the hidden job market by finding contacts.
- Hidden Job Market: Directories is a Library list that links you to websites, print books such as a directory of Canadian Associations. The list includes the comprehensive business directory Reference Canada. Log in to the OPL website with your Library card and PIN, search Reference Canada, and download company lists with contact names.
In addition to checking listings of job opportunities at the federal, provincial and municipal levels, explore government employee directories and government department websites, and make contacts.
- Finding Government Jobs is a Library list that links to government job listing websites, plus government employee directories and preparation for Federal Public Service Exams.
Researching News Coverage on Companies
Additional to Internet searching for coverage on the companies you are applying to, check out Canadian Newsstand’s full access to the content of newspapers. Log in to the OPL website with your Library card and PIN.
Content is updated daily for major national and regional Canadian newspapers, providing full access to the articles, columns, editorials, and features. Among the titles are The Globe and Mail, National Post, Montreal Gazette, Ottawa Citizen, Toronto Star, Regina Leader Post, Edmonton Journal, Vancouver Sun and the Victoria Times Colonist.
Labour Market Information (LMI)
LMI can provide you with an idea of emerging occupations, trends for current occupations and sectors, and other information that can guide your job search and education decisions.
Offers industry spotlights for Ottawa, including Ottawa This Quarter, an infographic of the employment pool and where people work. Explore the tutorial for job seekers on how to use Labour Market Information (LMI).
Temporary Job Agencies, Private Recruitment Agencies
A temporary job can mean a “foot-in-the-door” or lead to a useful contact or referral.
Many agencies specialize in certain areas of recruitment.
Volunteering is an important job search tool. Here are some of the advantages of volunteering:
- Can help you get experience in your area of interest and meet people in the field.
- Might lead to a referral for a job opportunity.
- Gives you the opportunity to practice important skills used in the workplace.
- Is also a great way to gain experience in a new field.
- Might expose you to professional organizations or internships that could be of benefit to your career.
- Allows you to develop valuable skills to add to your resume. May provide training.
Explore and pursue volunteer opportunities: